Wednesday 3 August 2016

Reginald's Brain

I decided early on that I wanted a system in the back that would give me decent quality music on tap.
After a lot of reading and investigating I decided to go for a raspberry Pi.
It is hooked up to a 320w Alpine amp and 2 x 100w monitor speakers,
It draws hardly any power so is perfect for what I need. I decided to install it in the wall and have a touchscreen front end, so it is effectively like a jukebox.
I also installed 2 switches next to it, one for the Pi and one for the amp. Inside the casing, I put a ground loop isolator, to stop any hum from the ground wires and also, as the Pi requires 5v (instead of the vans 12v), I fitted a step down unit, to turn the feed to 5v - USB.

Here's the installation:






Once I had got the hardware sorted out, it was time to make the operating system look nice and customised. I used an image called car pc and tweaked the skin and a few other bits to customise it for Reg!


I haven't tested it inside the van with the speakers yet but I have tested everything with headphones and it works brilliantly. The weather is a nice touch for when we have a wifi connection. I'm umming and arring whether to buy a USB GPS unit, in order for the navigation to work, so we can browse local maps!


0 comments:

Post a Comment