Friday 19 August 2016

Batteries

I had always planned to fit my leisure batteries under both of the seats. Obviously, this reduced the size of battery I could have. So after a lot of research and measurements, I decided on 4 x 100ah Numax leisure batteries. These are by no means the best battery in the world but for the money they are pretty decent. If you keep them maintained, they should last a good while.

When it came to installing them, I had a couple of problems. The first being that, the LT35 cab floor isn't flat. There is a gradually slant and unfortunately, batteries are supposed to be installed as level as possible (obviously this changes depending on where the van is but overall they should be level to the van). I therefore had to come up with a solution of how to install them. I created a level platform for each battery to sit on, being careful not to make it too high, so the terminals wouldn't come into contact with the chair.
Here's the installation:

This is how the batteries sat before I installed the base. As you can see they are fairly slanted!

I installed to batten wedges into the floor

 Ply Screwed into the battens

Straight batteries!


Although the batteries can barely move in the seat base, I needed to make sure they aren't going anywhere at all. So I bought some ratchet straps and used the raised platform and the seat to clamp the batteries in.

The next task was to wire them all as I had set out in my electrics diagram. This was more of a pain than it should have been because I didn't have a lot of cable! The pos and neg cable needs to be equal length, so it was a pain. However, I got there in the end:





I may add some rubber tops to the terminals on each battery. Just as a precaution, should it come into contact with the seat.

0 comments:

Post a Comment