Wednesday 10 August 2016

Gas!!

I was most concerned about the gas installation out of everything. It's the one thing that, if something were to go wrong, you'd seriously know about it! That being said, I managed to find somebody to lend me a helping hand. Phil, neighbour to my friends, Jay and Loys, has used LPG for a while and therefore knows the ins and outs. So I took the van round to the farm and he worked on piping up the gas stuff for me. The pipe was a bit of a nightmare to route through the cupboards etc but we got there in the end.






This left me with the job of securing everything and also figuring out what I was going to do about the fill point. The gas bottle I have is a special refillable gas bottle, so unlike the Calor type, you don't ever exchange it. Instead, it is designed to be refilled at LPG filling stations, using the pump, like you would a car. It has an auto cut off when it reaches 80% full. The problem is, most stations including those in Europe, don't like you filling up from either inside the vehicle or directly to the bottle. Therefore, an external fill point is needed.
I had originally planned to have a bracket type fill point which would bolt onto the sill at the side of the van. After reading a lot, and also looking at the location, I changed my mind and bought a recessed fill point, which goes into the van body.
This has taken me most of the day to fit, as it was a right pain to get the holes correct.

Cut the hole.. (nervous times!)

Hole in rear, with everything fitted

Secure fill pipe and route through drop vent

Happy with that!!


I then went and finished securing all the internal stuff, starting with the brace for the bottle and then securing all the piping with rubber P clips. I needed to add extra wood as the pipe sat off the wall slightly.



0 comments:

Post a Comment