Monday 28 March 2016

OoOoOooo Ahhhh Mother should I build the walls.......

So with a nice long bank holiday weekend I thought I'd manage to get plenty done.
Well the weather had other ideas, so basically I've only managed to get a couple of days in (including today).

I managed to sort a bit of the floor which had a bit too much give. I basically put a thinner bit of ply underneath it and then screwed the whole thing to the metal floor, making sure not to hit anything important underneath!

Then I moved onto the ply part of the walls.
I measured where I wanted these coming up to by using the height of the bed + cushions etc. You should be able to see any of the ply once everything is in. The only time you will is when the seats are turned into the bed (moving the side cushions).

Anyway, I nipped to the wood yard and got some 6mm thick ply cut to what I needed and also one extra whole piece to cut the wall part behind the drivers side later on.
I spent quite some time measuring and measuring again and drawing exactly where all the cuts needed to be made. The wheel arches where a right pain in the arse!

Once I had everything cut, I screwed it all in using self drilling metal screws. I had to figure out where the screws would go before the ply was up, this was due to most of the wall being insulation rather than metal. So in order for it to actually stay in place, I needed to find the metal parts!

Here's the outcome:




The holes you see on the drivers side wall are for the Mains Hook-up consumer unit (rear) and the water heater (front). These will need holes cutting in the side of the van!

I then managed to get some of the cladding put above the ply, this again was awkward due to having to find the metal to screw into. I had to use the self drilling screws which I may end up changing because I don't like how they stick out from the cladding, even though I countersunk the washers.
No pictures of this bit but you can see it in the pic coming up.

Today, I started fitting the internal window frames. I had to nip to screwfix and wickes to get some extra battens and black sikaflex so you wouldn't see it through the window. I had to cut all the battens to size, to use them as props whilst the sealant dried.
I then went around the entire window trim and metal frame with Sikaflex and put the frame in.

Climbing out of the van was like something off Crystal maze! I was half expecting Richard O'Brien to shake my hand when I actually got out!! It's currently outside curing (fingers crossed) so we will see if it holds once dried!




0 comments:

Post a Comment