Tuesday 22 March 2016

Framing the inside windows

So.. been busy this evening!

I wanted bonded windows as I like the look of the flush big windows from the outside. However, these windows seem massive from the inside and because of my layout, some of the window will be blocked anyway. I therefore needed a way of creating an inside frame to the size of window I wanted.

Now several things had to be thought of before doing this.

  1. Although the windows are privacy, when there's a light on inside or when close up, you can see everything inside. Therefore, if I'm planning on blocking part of the window, you will see the wood from the outside and it will look poo! I looked online and found some Matt black sign vinyl which can stick directly to most things and will just look completely black from the outside.
  2. I need a way of blocking the window but creating an inside frame. I chose to use a bit of ply cut exactly to the window dimensions and then a smaller window cut out of it.
  3. Once the ply would be in place, I would need to pack the window out until it sits flush with the internal walls. I am going to use battens attached to the ply and fill the gaps with insulation.
  4. The window will then need to be framed. My plan is to use cladding to frame the entire thing. The fact the window will be packed out means there should be a bit of a shelf too.
So.. When I got the floor ply cut, I also got the window ply cut to square (after measuring several times). I then used cardboard as a template to mark and cut the rounded corners.

Next was to mark where the windows would go and where the battens would go. Taking into account the spacing of the cladding shouldn't be too much or it will flex.

Once marked out, I drilled small pre holes into the ply and then countersunk the holes from the other side. The next bit was bloody awkward!! Because I needed to screw from the window side into the batten, I had to line the batten up, hold it into place and get under the ply and screw it in!! It really wasn't ideal but I got it done.

With all battens screwed into place, I cut and stuck all the vinyl to the ply, leaving a gape around the edge to glue the ply to the window trim/surround.

Pictures:
Windows as the are, you can see the taper to the van wall, awkward!



Back of window frames (facing into the van)

Passenger Side                             Drivers side

Front of window frames (facing actual window)

Passenger Side                            Drivers side

Vinyl added






0 comments:

Post a Comment