Monday 21 March 2016

Flooring + Rooflight

Well after a bout of man flu, which slowed me down somewhat, I finally managed to get a few things done this week.

Firstly, I removed the second siren and the two rear floodlights as I wont be using them.

I got the floor ply cut and screwed it into place for now. I need to redo it slightly due to a bit to much give in certain places. I will also glue it down when I redo it. Used 12mm ply for the floor as it's pretty thick and sturdy. The give in places is to do with support underneath rather than the ply itself.

Didn't get many pictures of fitting the floor or anything but Kim managed to get a few:


Will get a picture of the floor fully done, when I've properly glued it all etc.

Rooflight

What a ballache of a job this turned out to be!! Basically, these rooflights are designed to plonk into a pre-cut hole and then the inside screws to the outside and seals the top to the van roof.
The one problem with this is that it needs a fully flat surface. This is rather hard on a van roof due to all the ribs that run down!

I started off by making a cardboard cut-out 400mm x 400mm and drew round this exactly where I wanted the rooflight to go (on the inside). I then drilled 4 big holes in each corner (big enough to fit the jigsaw blade through). 
Then got on top of the roof, re-drew the square using the holes as a reference. 
Once I was happy with the square after measuring about 10 times, I got the jigsaw out!
Was seriously awkward trying to cut whilst distributing my weight evenly across the roof! Kept getting cramp in my legs which isn't at all helpful when holding a jigsaw.
Anyway, eventually got it cut out and then filed down the edges as I hadn't cut particularly straight!!
Once it was all filed, painted the edges with metal paint. 

I then had to stick the internal support frame (which I had cut previously) to the van roof. This needed to be held in place with clamps until the sealant had gone off. 
As it had taken me ages to get everything cut etc, it was getting late, so had to leave it like this overnight and start again the next day.

Once the internal frame was on, I had to figure out how to make the surface on top match the height of the ribs. A lot of people use Upvc to the same thickness and pack it out around the hole (to make it level). However, where I had placed my rooflight, there was literally one rib and that's it. So I attempted to flatten the end bit with a hammer and then a G clamp. It came down quite a bit but not flat! I therefore just winged it and used a load of mastic tape to build up the height around the hole. I then place some mastic tape on the bottom of the rooflight, plonked it in the hole and screwed the inside bit to it. I went round and checked it was all sealed on the outside and that is how I've left it for now. Need to go out and re-seal round all of it tomorrow. 

Here's some action shots:








0 comments:

Post a Comment