Friday 15 July 2016

Shower tray and step

Managed to get the shower tray fitted in place today. I cut a load of small legs to sit under the wood that I'd already put round it and then screwed them in. I still needed to fix it to the floor somehow though, so on the door side I fitted some longer battens that screwed into the would but stuck out far enough to also screw into the floor. I sealed the rubber ring that goes under the outlet before putting the tray in place.

Once the tray was in (I had to unfit and refit the toilet to do this... urgh..) I made a start on thinking how I could make a step that meant the door and shower curtain were higher than the tray. Here's what I came up with:

I cut four large bits of wood so they were taller than the tray when sat on the floor battens. I then cut a 45 degree angle on them from half way on the top. This was to make sure water ran into the tray. They were then screwed to the shower tray battens:


Next was the front frame. Really I should have done this when building the actual front frame but I didn't know what I was going to do at that stage! I basically built up a bridge type structure. A long batten going across with 4 supporting posts, made to the same height as the large bits. These were all butt joints and I then screwed it into the front frame from the side:


I then cut a piece of 12mm ply to fit on top and also go round the corners perfectly, in order to be able to seal it all. This was then screwed into the front and the flat part of the large bits:


The next bit was fiddly. I had to cut another piece of ply to fit the 45 degree part, the problem was, here it met with the other piece. This had to be cut with a jigsaw set at 45 degrees. I did the first cut and then realised I also had to cut the opposite side in order for it to sit flat against the other piece.
Got it done eventually and screwed it into place:



Tomorrow I will fit a piece of ply to the front frame and also cover the step with the same vinyl as in the bathroom. Then, hopefully, I'll get the door in!!



0 comments:

Post a Comment